Helping Cornwall Council's Information Services team to re-establish and transform itself
Cornwall Council is one of the largest unitary authorities in the country. With an annual budget of £1.2 billion, it serves a population of around 500,000, which is larger than major cities such as Bradford, Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield.
Cornwall Council wanted to understand and assess the current state of their IT capabilities and identify opportunities for improvement to support Service Design work, which was anticipated to start in late 2016. A significant driver was the recent failed outsourced contract with an external provider, which has had an impact on IT team’s ability to provide the required services to support the Council’s business. The failed outsourced contract led to a very quick ‘lift and shift’ transfer of the IS team back into Cornwall Council, with no opportunity to re-design the service.
The scope of the engagement covered all key processes and services delivered by the IS department this included:
- Support (e.g. Incident and Problem Management)
- Strategy and roadmaps (e.g. Business and service plans, strategy management)
- Risk and Governance (e.g. Security, risk management)
- Finance (e.g. budgeting)
- Document Management (the IS team includes the inbound/outbound mail and print functions)
- Design and Delivery of solutions (e.g. enterprise architecture, service design, test and release)
- Service Management (e.g. portfolio management, service level management)
Accelerated understanding of opportunities to transform
Unique Value Chain and Business Capability Modelling
Six clear investment themes identified and agreed for change
4 weeks delivered significant insight and value
- Over a 4 week period, a team of three Mosaic Island expert consultants worked with the Council's IS team to review their current operation.
- We applied our proven methodology of Value Chain, Value Stream analysis and Business Capability Modelling to help Cornwall get a sense of how the entire IS team was operating.
- We undertook a series of half-day workshops with IS team members to map out the current Value Chains for the IS organisation.
- From the workshops, we were able to create; High level end to end process models, Value stream models,
- An IS team specific Business Capability Model and a report and presentation summarising findings and identifying the areas requiring improvement.
- Cornwall Council's IS team now have a clear view of their processes, their capabilities as an IT organisation, the capabilities requiring improvement and clear recommendations.
- This understanding was invaluable in informing the IS team's imminent, planned redesign.
- In addition, members of the IS team that attended the workshops appreciated being able to contribute to the value chain sessions.
- This improved their sense of ownership of the recommended actions and their continued buy-in through the planned IS re-design process.
We are really pleased with both the approach that Mosaic Island took during this piece of work and the outcomes from the work. Feedback from colleagues who attended the workshop sessions has been extremely positive. We now have a clear understanding of where the challenges and opportunities are for our service, this work will be invaluable as we look to progress a re-design of our service to meet the evolving needs of the council
Stuart Gaslonde, Assistant Head of Governance & Information Services